, , , ,

20130713_074432I have been too busy this summer to do some of the recent Sourdough Surprises challenges, but I couldn’t pass up cinnamon rolls.  I love hot cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

After the recent sourdough strawberry shortcake flop, I was a little gun-shy about sweet sourdough things, but sourdough babka and sourdough raisin oatmeal cookies had turned out well, so I decided to chance it.

I was going to take the lazy way out and just use a recipe off of the internet, but then I realized I was short on sugar and time, and instead of searching madly for something that fit my narrow parameters of available sugar quantity and time allowed for rising, I took the lazy way out and converted my old standby cinnamon roll recipe to sourdough.

It is a recipe that was originally for the bread machine, but I keep using it even though I no longer own a bread machine.  It’s a smaller quantity than many of the recipes I’ve seen, plus it works, and I try not to fix what ain’t broken.  I was going to post the recipe, but decided against it for reasons that will become obvious.

I never bake cinnamon rolls start to finish in the morning.  They’re good and all, but delicately poached hummingbird eggs in unicorn sauce sprinkled with star dust wouldn’t be worth getting up that early for.

I make the dough and shape the cinnamon rolls the night before and then refrigerate them overnight.  In the morning, I put them in a warm oven to rise for 15 minutes, and then bake them.

Instead of making an overnight sponge as I do for most of my sourdough, I planned to make a sponge early in the morning and then make the dough that afternoon, 7 or 8 hours later.  I forgot about that plan until afternoon, however, so my sponge was a 4-hour sponge.

I didn’t have quite the full cup of starter that I had decided I would need to replace the commercial yeast.  So I figured there would be a little guesswork with the final flour amount.

Then while the sponge was sitting on the counter, covered by a towel, my toddler pushed a chair over to the cabinet and used some of it for  finger paint.  So I did a bit more guesswork.  Also, I learned flour/water glop isn’t easy to get out of upholstery.

As the mixer kneaded the dough I noticed a little piece of metal poking out.  I had a moment of panic, thinking my mixer was falling apart, before I stopped the machine and pulled it out and found it was a straight pin.  My pincushion was sitting on the counter, and for some reason my son has a fascination with straight pins, so he added them to the mix during his finger painting session.

I found two more pins in the dough.  I’m glad I didn’t decide to knead that batch by hand.

The filling contains with brown sugar, chopped pecans, and cinnamon.  My brown sugar was a hard little ball, so I whirled it in the blender, which gave me something like brown powdered sugar.  I shaped the rolls and put them in the fridge.

The next morning the sourdough took roughly half an hour to rise sufficiently, instead of 15 minutes.  After baking they looked delicious, and I wish I had taken a picture of them before I added the glaze.

For the glaze I used a mixture of part regular powdered sugar, which I only had about half a cup of, and part whirled brown sugar and part whirled white sugar.

The recipe called for two cups of powdered sugar.  I’m going to make a note to myself, one cup is sufficient.  I poured tons of glaze on the rolls, and I still had a lot leftover.

They were really good.  The sourdough flavor really came through, in a good way, I thought.  The Dearest Husband admitted that he preferred them made with commercial yeast.

We both agreed that even though I didn’t use the entire amount of glaze, I still put on way too much, and all the sugar overwhelmed the good cinnamon/pecan taste of the filling.  Lesson learned.  I have no idea why I didn’t make a note about that on the recipe before.

Check out other people’s sourdough creations at Sourdough Surprises.